Monday, March 25, 2013

Garden Status Update

No, my garden is not on Facebook. But here is what's up as of 3/24:

Indoor seeds: Almost all of the tomatoes are doing well and have their first set of true leaves except for my San Marzanos (10 year old seeds - I guess they are finally dead). Despite my best efforts at labeling, I have two sets of seeds marked "Great White", one of which is thriving profusely and the other which has no hints of seedlings whatsoever. This will be an adventure. The peppers and eggplant are coming up more slowly and the tomatillos are not up yet at all. The rest of the seeds are so-so. The Bea fennel, celeriac, parsley and shiso are not up yet. The others are producing, even the mystery seed. The next step will be to leave one strong seedling in each cell of the tomato and pepper packs. The others will stay as-is since they were sown in plastic grape tomato containers and will get planted earlier than the others.

Outdoor seeds: None of the herb seeds in my Earth Boxes came up. Either it's not warm enough in the greenhouse or they all rotted from being constantly wet and cold. We'll have to see about that one.

This weekend I started some cold weather seeds in the greenhouse to get a jump on the planting season. These are, for the most part, normally sown outside directly in the soil in April.

Box #1: Spinach - Baby's Leaf, Mustard Greens - Florida Broadleaf, Escarole - Eros, Kale - Lacinato, Purslane - Golden, Mibuna - Early

Box #2: Turnip - Golden Ball, Beet - Chioggia & Touchstone Gold & Cylindra, Parsnip - Hollow Crown, Swiss Chard - Bright Lights

Soaked seeds were planted along the fence among the grapes, about 24 feet each of the Burpeeana Early and Super Sugar Snap. Sweet peas were planted in pots and in the rose bed.

General maintenance:
Weeded the pea bed. Started to lay cardboard out for garden bed paths (to be later topped with straw).

To Do:
Finish weeding raised beds in lower part of garden. Continue to lay out cardboard and keep an eye out for straw for sale. Rebuild collapsed asparagus bed. Start artichoke and parsley seeds. Thin tomato seedlings and feed with fish emulsion. Fertilize asparagus, blueberries, hydrangea, rhodes.

No comments:

The Big Bad Blog Beginning: Marketing Gone Awry

So awhile back, I was talking to my home business and web marketing diva. I know what you're thinking right now. You're thinking, "Big deal! Everybody has a home business and web marketing diva." Maybe so, but if you're not talking to Dina at http://www.wordfeeder.com/, then you've got the wrong gal.

Since I have the right gal, Dina said, "You should start a blog to help promote your website."

"Really? How come?"

She then said something along the lines of "Hoogety boogety search engine optimization foogety moogety page hierarchy loogety toot toot meta-tags and strategic links...." and many other extremely smart things. Please keep in mind Dina has never actually said "hoogety boogety" to me in any context. What she did do was give me a brief explanation of web marketing that made complete sense, but the wisdom of which I would completely mangle upon retelling. The relevant gist was as follows - a blog, when properly done, can be a great tool to drive traffic to my website.

I mulled this over for quite some time. Could I write clear and informative articles about the decorative painting business? Er, sure, I think. New techniques, preferred paint and brush brands, offers of free templates.....Ooh, but how bout the funny fellow painter ladies I see at my teacher's studio? Or the nutjobs who I meet at craft shows?

And then I started thinking about other humorous stuff, like the time my mother swiped HER mother's mother's day gift from me and refused to give it back. And the stories from my grandfather about the 8-10 different ways he's accidentally electrocuted himself throughout the years, and yet still stands. Or about the time I spent half a day convinced that drunk people snuck into my yard during the night and dug up 48 newly planted impatiens (until I realized a deer ate them).

That's about the point that I realized that I actually want a blog to show the world how hilarious I am, and if I can throw some web marketing in there, so be it. I can make it work. For example, the two funniest things I do are 1.) garden organically 2.) allow people to speak to me. Since I paint flowers and creatures and landscapes, does it count as web marketing if I blog about growing flowers in a landscape while shouting obscenities at creatures? You betcha! And when my mother does something bizarre, should that go in there too? Absolutely. Ah, yes. Yet another blog is born.

So in the end, I will market my website the way I organic garden - seek out the advice of experts, change it all around, and find myself continually shocked when my system doesn't work. Effective? No. Funny? Oh yes indeed! Keep reading.....