Saturday, June 27, 2009

Useful Weed Primer: Broadleaf Plantain



If you've been following my blog, you already know about my recurring theme of the trials and tribulations of a lazy gardener. Therefore, it will come as no shock to you that I hate weeding and have not yet found a way to justify not doing it. Not until now.


Think for a bit on the definition of a weed. Really, a weed is just a plant that appears in a place you don't want it. Grass in your raised herb bed is a weed, but herbs in your lawn are weeds too. Speaking of lawns, ours is a disaster by conventional standards. I'm not sure if any of what's growing there is actually grass. I don't care because I sort of hate the concept of a lawn. If I had the time, energy and back strength, I would rip it all out and make a huge showcase garden. Without those factors in my favor however, I need to learn to like both the grass and the weeds. Perhaps if I could find a positive quality about all the weeds in my lawn, I could put to bed some of my weedy lawn angst!



Two gentlemen have arrived on the scene to aid me in my agenda. Cyrus Hyde, an herbalist and owner of Well-Sweep Herb Farm, led lecture tours at their open house event a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, Queen Sophia was in no mood to tolerate herbalists or plant discussions of any sort. If we were not hanging out with the dogs or watching the chickens, she was a crabby crying meanie. Hence, Cyrus' mountain of knowledge about his farm and plants was mostly lost. I did get a chance to learn three things: 1.) horsetail grass can scratch any metal and can sand wood more beautifully than any sandpaper 2.) wild ramps grow in our area and are available for purchase and 2.) most of my lawn is actually a potential first aid cream! Success!






According to Charlie, broadleaf plantain, a common garden & lawn weed, is great for soothing sunburn , treating insect bites and taking the itch out of poison ivy. He prefers to use a match to wilt the leaf and squeeze out the juice onto the affected area, or just slap the wilted leaf on there whole. Without a source of flame, the good old fashioned chew-it-up-and-spit method works too. Either way, you have to abuse the plant a bit to get it to release it’s juice.




I can't begin to explain how happy I was to hear this. We literally have this stuff growing everywhere. I went home to do more research, and easily found a few great websites with lots of plantain facts. Baby leaves are edible in salads and high in vitaminA, B1, C, and K along with riboflavin and calcium. Leaves also contain chemicals such as aucubin (a strong anti-toxin) and allantoin (wound healing and skin regeneration). Plantain has been used medicinally by Europeans for hundreds of years as a cure-all, but modern research is confirming its wound healing and anti-inflammatory properties. In Germany, the commission that regulates herbs and herbal uses also approves plaintain for use soothing coughs and mucuous membrane irritation during colds.



For more information and some homemade healing recipes, check out the following sites:



www.altnature.com
"Medicinal" herb tea: For colds and flu use 1 tbls. dry or fresh whole Plantain (seed, root, and leaves) to 1 cup boiling water, steep 10 min. strain, sweeten. Drink through the day.
Healing salve: In large non-metallic pan place 1lb. of entire Plantain plant chopped, and 1 cup lard, cover, cook down on low heat till all is mushy and green. Strain while hot, cool and use for burns, insect bites, rashes, and all sores. Note: used as night cream for wrinkles.



www.prairielandherbs.com
go to the site for instructions and dosage amounts on plantain tea as a cough treatment, as well as instructions on how to make your own herbally infused oil.



www.botanical.com
this site has a few recipes for treatment of odd ailments and more details about plantain’s uses throughout history.



Of course, after all the chatter, I had to see for myself. I tried it out on the constant case of poison ivy that I get on my forearms from May to October every year. Sure enough, it worked. A week later (and still as of this minute) I got a lovely case of secondary poison ivy over most of my face and eyes, but I've been hesitant to try it there. I might just have to, since the steroid shot is not kicking in yet. Tonight I just might be found hunched over the cauldron (modern day cauldrons go on electric stoves, of course) mixing up a witch's brew of herbal healing.




I am now officially hooked on discovering the beneficial properties of all the volunteer plants growing in my lawn and garden beds. Lucky for me, my enlightening moment at Well-Sweep Herb Farm was quickly followed by a wild foods foray given by Steve “Wildman” Brill. My next article all about Steve and his quirky tour of edible weeds coming soon!

1 comment:

Dina at Wordfeeder.com said...

I'm sure I don't have to tell you how enamored I am with this particular post...

The Big Bad Blog Beginning: Marketing Gone Awry

So awhile back, I was talking to my home business and web marketing diva. I know what you're thinking right now. You're thinking, "Big deal! Everybody has a home business and web marketing diva." Maybe so, but if you're not talking to Dina at http://www.wordfeeder.com/, then you've got the wrong gal.

Since I have the right gal, Dina said, "You should start a blog to help promote your website."

"Really? How come?"

She then said something along the lines of "Hoogety boogety search engine optimization foogety moogety page hierarchy loogety toot toot meta-tags and strategic links...." and many other extremely smart things. Please keep in mind Dina has never actually said "hoogety boogety" to me in any context. What she did do was give me a brief explanation of web marketing that made complete sense, but the wisdom of which I would completely mangle upon retelling. The relevant gist was as follows - a blog, when properly done, can be a great tool to drive traffic to my website.

I mulled this over for quite some time. Could I write clear and informative articles about the decorative painting business? Er, sure, I think. New techniques, preferred paint and brush brands, offers of free templates.....Ooh, but how bout the funny fellow painter ladies I see at my teacher's studio? Or the nutjobs who I meet at craft shows?

And then I started thinking about other humorous stuff, like the time my mother swiped HER mother's mother's day gift from me and refused to give it back. And the stories from my grandfather about the 8-10 different ways he's accidentally electrocuted himself throughout the years, and yet still stands. Or about the time I spent half a day convinced that drunk people snuck into my yard during the night and dug up 48 newly planted impatiens (until I realized a deer ate them).

That's about the point that I realized that I actually want a blog to show the world how hilarious I am, and if I can throw some web marketing in there, so be it. I can make it work. For example, the two funniest things I do are 1.) garden organically 2.) allow people to speak to me. Since I paint flowers and creatures and landscapes, does it count as web marketing if I blog about growing flowers in a landscape while shouting obscenities at creatures? You betcha! And when my mother does something bizarre, should that go in there too? Absolutely. Ah, yes. Yet another blog is born.

So in the end, I will market my website the way I organic garden - seek out the advice of experts, change it all around, and find myself continually shocked when my system doesn't work. Effective? No. Funny? Oh yes indeed! Keep reading.....